Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My "mush" for the next few months

Okay, so for anyone who knows me - I really am not a very "mushy" person. I don't like to be corny, I don't show my feelings very often, I won't sit down to watch a movie if I know it will make me cry and I really don't get sentimental very often. Becca - you don't count...........you bring this out in me from time to time when I guess I really need it. :) Miss you. Anyways, tonight - it got me, and Bec, you had nothing to do with it for once.

I was taking a break from brownie-goose and starting on Louisa's birthday dress. I had an idea for a pattern in mind for when Louisa is the flower girl for my sister's wedding, so I decided to use the same pattern for her bday dress so that I can get all the kinks out first. Well, it just so happens that it is one of those classic patterns, one of the "good-ole" Children's Corners that believe it or not, are still sold today. I had dresses made from this pattern when I was little...........talk about a classic style. Anyway, this is one time that I love that my mother has so much stuff because she brought me a box full of vintage patterns from when she would sew for us, and even some my grandmother sewed! Of course, the pattern that I found is the right one, but the wrong size.........and I just refused to spend another $13 to buy one the right size, and since I am the Queen of jerry-rigging things (right, Phoebe?) I thought for sure I could scale it down to Lou's size. Well, turns out I didn't have to because a cheapo named Janie Sandefur (my mom) had already done it for me, back in the day it looks as though she pirated another size and put it in the same envelope as the larger pattern. Score, this made my day!! After I got over laughing about how old the computer paper that the pattern was traced on (seriously, it had the perforated holes on the sides from the printers and various green colored lines) I got bitten by the sentimental bug. Not only was my mom's handwriting on the pattern, but so was my grandmother's. It dawned on me that I was about to be the 3rd generation to sew from this exact pattern. That in itself amazes me and brings me closer to my mom and grandmother who are/were amazing seamstresses. Louisa's birthday dress brought on a whole new meaning to me. It isn't just a dress anymore, it is almost a tradition. Mushy, I know - I have almost allotted an entire year's worth of mush in this blog.............but I couldn't help but to share this. I just hope that I can be a bit of a pack-rat and save this pattern and be able to have Louisa ask me for it one day. I finally know what it means to want to pass down talents, traditions and traits.

So, before I get any cornier or mushier, I will stop. I just wanted to share this with whoever decides to pass the time by reading my blog. I think it is cool, and cannot wait to see her in her dress. It will be a whole other kind of pride that I feel when I see her wearing it!

7 comments:

Julie, Mitch & Chapman said...

Amy - I think that is so neat! I can't wait to see the dress! Honestly, when I saw the title of this post I thought maybe it was a mushy back yard because of all of the rain! : ) This was way better! hahaha....

Ashley said...

OKAY! i love mushy stuff and this had me boo-hoo-ing!! what a special family "thing"! thank you for appreciating it! sewing is such a rare talent anymore! i so wish i had learned! favorite norris family post EVER!!!

Kevin, Kara, and Kolton said...

I think this has the possibility of being made into a Hallmark movie!!! Whatcha think! Or at least some kind of holiday commercial!
Can't wait to see pictures of the dress on your little miss!

Penny Ginn said...

OK, so I got NONE of the sewing talent in the family; but I'm pretty sure I provided that green-bar computer paper. :}

Brandy and John said...

I don't think it's mushy at all... very sweet :)

kerisullivan said...

Well. I am mushy. Very mushy, very sentimental. And I'm sitting in the ICU at Grady with tears. Someone just asked me if a patient of mine died. I said 'no, my friend is making a dress from her grandmother's pattern.' Can't imagine why she looked at me like I needed a psyc consult!

Kristen said...

umm-- so sweet!! of course i am crying, i cry about everything- and i am even sadder that i cant come to the partay to see miss priss in her sentimental dress :( both of my grandmothers and mom are wonderful sewers (yuck) but somehow katie and i never picked it up, wish we had- guess theres still time huh?