Monday, March 9, 2009

"oohh........i crawl-fish, um-hmm"


So, Byron has this huge test every year in March called the inservice (all residents have to take it) but for some reason the ENT department is psycho about it...........so from December on, I lose my husband to what Lou and I call "boring books" and happily gain him back after the test. Well, Saturday was the test and we were the hosts for the after test shin-dig. We had a crawfish boil which was fun and we all had a good time.

Let me just talk about crawfish for a while, and don't anyone "hate" I am just being honest. I just didn't grow up on these things. I remember in 4th grade we found what we called back in Savannah a cray-fish at school by a ditch. Is this really the same thing? If so, that is my only previous experience, until I married Byron, who's family is from Louisiana where the crawfish (otherwise known as the mudbug) is King. So, I have given them a shot........but I just don't get it. I have yet to learn to properly peel the things, and by the time I get to some sort of meat, I am kinda just grossed out by all the stuff oozing out from everywhere. Kinda like picking crabs, I love to do it......but will get grossed out faster than anything! So, after trying crawfish again and then making etouffee for a second time.....I have come to the conclusion that I love the IDEA of a crawfish boil. Beer drinking outside, which for my Facebook friends, we all know this is an all-time fave of mine, and good friends. I mean, it just doesn't get better than that! So, I will continue to honor my husband's cajun roots and have a good time.......but just don't know how many crawfish I will eat.

Anyway, Louisa had a blast. There were so many kids there that we all talked about how it looked like we were running a daycare. She loved playing with everyone, but I think she shares her Mommy's opinion on the crawfish, if you couldn't already tell from the picture!

To see all of the pictures from this crawish boil, click here.

2 comments:

Brandy and John said...

Sounds like fun!! Good times, good times...

Misty said...

I'm with you Amy. I try and try to LIKE crawfish. I really want to; but I just don't. They don't even gross me out; I just don't like the way they taste. Luckily, I do like them IN dishes. It kind of covers up the taste! Anyway, I'm glad the inservice is over for y'all. We're still in study mode here since the boards aren't until April, but alas-- what's a doctor's wife to do?? It looks like you had fun!