Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tearing Down the Jungle One Tree at a Time..........





So, I have referenced our jungle of a backyard before. Let me just set the background for the next few postings............

When Byron and I moved to Jackson, we decided that we wanted an older house, just like we had back in Georgia. We wanted a big backyard that the dogs could play in and we wanted to be in a fun area. Not too hard, right? Okay, scrap the "old" house (a 50's ranch DOES not qualify in my book) seeing as there were none in our price range. Big backyard...........ahhhh, we found it, along with one of the ONLY structurally sound homes in Jackson, MS, knock on wood. We love the Fondren area that we live in, and are slowly (I mean slowly) falling in love with our house. Back to the backyard, we LOVED it when we looked at the house, it was HUGE and a disaster, but we weren't scared. We did TONS of renovation projects in GA, including landscaping, so we could do this. What we didn't realize was that in GA we didn't have a child, Byron wasn't a resident and therefore owned by the hospital, we weren't poor, and did I mention we didn't have a child??? So, we are told that our backyard used to be beautiful, and had formal box-tree gardens and exotic plants before the sweet lady that owned our house fell ill and it fell to disrepair. Well, we are on the road to getting it back to wonderful Mrs. Mara, we may not have exotic plants (my thumbs are not exactly green) but, here goes nothing!

After a year and a half of talking and planning and dreaming, we finally came to the conclusion that we didn't have the energy, time or resources to do what we wanted to in the yard. Did I mention we had a child? We had a tree man come and give us quotes on cutting down trees that were just flirting with our roof and tornado season and it turns out he did grading work and all that jazz. Well, after many "talks" and sighs and wondering if we were doing the right thing.............we told Mr. Stanly to go ahead and do it all. Trees, grading, stump grinding, retention walls.......the whole sha-bang, which explains if you see Byron or I on the news being arrested for robbing a bank.

Today was work day #1 for the boys and so I got out there on their lunch break (too scared of falling branches to go out there while men were working) and took some pictures and will continue to do so until the project is done, so if you don't care about our backyard..........stay clear of the blog for a week or so. As Louisa and I were watching them take down trees from the safety of our own home (and hearing the roof sigh in relief) Louisa said, "Mista Tanley boke da tee." Translation, Mr. Stanley broke the tree. Too cute!

By the way..........did I mention that it wasn't in the budget to have them haul off some of the trees they "broke"? Anyway, I think we may have some free fire-wood (wait, I should charge for that, right?) on our hands as you can see in one of the pictures!

2 comments:

Brandy and John said...

Too bad I don't live closer, I could bring you some adult bevs while you watch them! I can't wait to see the "after pictures"! And you should definitely charge for the firewood. :)

lnichols said...

I am jealous! i have a jungle too. I made Brent and his dad get out the chainsaw and cut some small one downs last year. We have a ton more to do- professionally! GOod luck and can't wait to see the progress.