Monday, April 13, 2009

Call it What You Want........................

Here are just a few things that I have called it in the past:
1. The witching hour
2. The "unhappy" hour
3. Sundowner's hour
4. And most recenlty, The Suicide Hour.

Let me just explain this one to you. The Suicide Hour as we know it is what happens in our house DAILY around 4:30 or so. Meltdowns, out of nowhere, for NO reason what-so-ever. I have always heard people refer to the "witching hour," and one day my Mom called during the so-called hour and told me that my great-grandmother called it "The Suicide Hour." Rightfully so, if anyone knew my Grandmom Doris, who was known for her knock-you-down eggnog recipe and also saying "Want in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first."

So, the suicide hour, as it is now known at our house is out of control. I get a good hour or so after her nap, and then all hell breaks loose. I mean, seriously! One day I thought, well, maybe she is mad that I am cooking instead of paying her attention, nope - not it. Another I thought that maybe if I let her play outside for a good while after the nap that it would help............nope. Anyways - Louisa basically loses it. Everything results in a temper-tantrum, fussing, whining, crying, "mommy hold you," or the favorite how toddlers hand onto your legs while you try and walk. I honestly don't know what to do about this time period. She sits in time out the most of the time because she does things she knows that she is not supposed to be doing. Hence why I thought it was attention-driven. Let me just give you an example..............

Today we had to run errands like we do every Monday. Of course, she knows as soon as we get to the drive-through at the bank she starts to holler for a "sucka." Well, today when the sweet teller gave her one (if she only knew) I decided to hold it over her for the day, as I so often do with bribery. All day long when she started to teeter on the edge of getting on my nerves, I would remind her that she wouldn't get her sucker at the end of the day if she continued to misbehave. Well, once it was "sucka" time, even though she had not been perfect, I felt she behaved well enough for a 2 year old. So, she got super excited and sat down on the kitchen floor and decided to eat her sucker. I tried to cook dinner and then it happened. Meltdown #1, she couldn't hold it just right so she freaked out and screamed and layed out on the floor. I should have taken it away then..........but thought I could get more cooking done if I gave it back. So after we got over that one, Meltdown #2 occurred, the sucker goo ran down her mouth and got on her "boo-boo" (one that has been there for WEEKS and she talks about daily)............freak-out again. Laying on the floor and screaming. And still, I continued to let her keep it.............bad parenting on my part? Maybe. Well, she quickly got over that one and was silent for a while and all was happy until I realized that silence is NEVER golden in our house. I look over and the stinker was dipping her sucker in the dog's water bowl. So, some people will laugh, some people (who don't have animals) will be grossed out and I just get MAD. For anyone who talks to me about child discipline knows how MAD I get when she gets in the dog's water bowl. Honestly she gets time out at least 4 times a week for being in the bowl. This is one of those moments when you remind yourself to count to ten..............and then I had to repeat that because I had just had it. So, I went over to her, told her why I was upset and angry and made her throw her sucker away and then go and sit in time out. Hence.........Meltdown #3. To spare everyone the details of my child screaming during suicide hour, I will just skip to the part that EVERY time she calmed down of course I had to open the trash can to put items from cooking dinner in it and then another meltdown occurred. By the time I put her in bed I was just spent. And then I realized..............the majority of the time, Suicide Hour lasts ALL day in our house. And people wonder why I almost lose it when they ask if we are trying for another one..............the answer is NO WAY JOSE!! At least not during suicide hour.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

So this is what I have to look forward to?? Luckily our dog bowl is in the garage! Poor Ames!

Mary said...

Oh my! You could really make some money with your writing skills. I really think I could hear her sreaming in the background as I was reading your blog!

I totally get it because this happens at our house every evening too! There's no explanation or easy way around it....you just have to ride it out...kind of like labor, huh? (or worse? haha.)

Tori Hayes said...

That is why we try to do something during that hour...if I can go to the park that's where we are!!! You all need to join us...that way she can run around get some energy out with Ella!

HollyBerry said...

ok, i'm so sorry for your meltdowns, but i have to say that your wity writing ability paired with your real-life rundown of suicide hour definitely makes me smile - at least some:) one reason is because i used to babysit a LOT and experienced those tantrums with children not even my own! another is becuase i know, i know, i know our time is coming! i've heard the stories of my NOW sweet sweet husband. thanks for sharing! hang in there!

Kristen said...

you crack me up. what cracks me up even more is every post's title has a thousand periods at the end "call it what you want...................." haha i laugh everytime!! miss you!