Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Grand Hotel at Point Clear



Byron had a conference this past weekend for the Mississippi Society of Otolaryngologists (yawn, I know...right), but it just so happened to be at the GORGEOUS Grand Hotel in Point Clear, AL which is right across the bay from Mobile. So, luckily he invited Lula and I to tag along. I had never heard of the place before but people kept telling me how nice and how beautiful it was, and let me just tell you - it did not disappoint! Although we were quite possibly the poorest people there financially, we enjoyed living it up for a few day. :)

While I was sick, which is ALWAYS fun, I was still able to try and make the best of it. One of the nights I honestly could not even get out of bed and had so much snot running out of my nose that it looked like my nose was crying, so Byron was sweet and had a date with Louisa while I laid up in bed watching the Food channel. How is it that watching TV is always more fun in a hotel? I mean, if I sit down at home and watch TV (even if I am not feeling well) I feel bad, like I should be up doing something, but not at a hotel, it is like it is acceptable. And so, secrelty - I enjoy being a bum while I stay at hotels!

The hotel has a pond in the middle which is surrounded by some of the prettiest oak trees and flowers that it reminds me of being in Savannah. The oak trees are the kind that are covered in Spanish Moss and have branches that dip low and touch the ground, and bases so big that you can sit in some of the forks. Beautiful, absolutely a dream for a photo-shoot, but my little poser wasn't cooperating with me, but I still snuck a few in. Anyway, the pond has ducks that you can feed which is always a fun time with kids, and me. :) So, we spent a lot of time feeding the ducks, chasing the ducks and watching the fish jump in the pond.

This duck was my favorite. He followed us the whole time and would sneak into my duck food when I wasn't looking. While we swung in a hammock, he hung out patiently underneath the whole time. Of course I favored him!!


Unfortunately, 2 days in a row some parent allowed their child to go "big potty" in the pool - so for about 10 hours total, the pool was closed. Considering the thermometer was reaching 100 degrees, this was so uncool that I wanted to lecture all of the moms there on how to put a swim diaper on your unpotty-trained child. I mean, REALLY people!! I think that the culprits should have to wear a sign that says, "Yes, we are the ones that pooed the pool." Well, one of the days we went down to the beach (which was the Mobile Bay) to let Lou swim. Believe it or not, she kept going under and "swimming like a mermaid" like it was her job. Byron and I were so surprised. But she had a great time and the next day when we went to the pool she discovered another new thing that she quickly became obsessed with, the water slide at the pool. Every time we got to the bottom she said, "nodder one." Which meant Byron and I took turns taking her down the water slide over and over and over again. I will admit, I loved it to, so I cannot complain. Plus, if I had tried to go down it without a child, I may have gotten some looks. :)

What is a blog without a rant? So, here we go. One of the days I took a trip to one of the fabric stores in the area to feed my obsession. Well, 15 minutes into the trip Louisa told me she had to go potty, so I told her that if she could wait we could go at the store. She said okay, and we made it the rest of the way. So, I arrive at the fabric store in the 101 degree heat, unload the stroller and my child, get all buckled and settled and walk into the store (which by the way is BARELY air conditioned) and ask for the little girl's room. The girl working at the desk (which is the same girl that boringly gave me the wrong directions earlier over the phone) mumbles to me, "we don't have one. You have to go to the Family Dollar down the road." WHAT, ARE YOU EVEN KIDDING ME???? So, I put my child BACK in the car, put the stroller BACK in the car and get everyone all buckled and go a few shopping centers down to the Family Dollar to use the bathroom. Thankfully, my child made it. But, as we got back to the fabric store, I was furious and asked the girl where she went to the bathroom...surely she didn't go down the street to the Family Dollar. I mean really, if you see me with a toddler doing the potty dance holding her crotch with the sweetest face DO NOT TELL ME THAT YOU DON'T HAVE A BATHROOM. Shame on you, I mean, really. Then she tried to tell me that she just has to hold it. Oh my goodness, as my friend Phoebe says, don't even get me started. Needless to say I will never visit that fabric store again.

Now for some pictures...

Enjoying the sunset at the marina with Mommy


Feeding the ducks with Daddy


Chasing the ducks, saying "come mere duckies. I sweet. I wan feed you. I can pet you, otay? Come back duckies!" Okay, Lou...as sweet as you seem, haha, the ducks see straight through that act! Run away fast duckies!!



Pooped, a day of swimming, sliding and feeding ducks, not to mention a bike ride.


The model pose, I absolutely LOVE this picture of her!


Her famous pout - she is just done with it all, caught TWICE!

1 comment:

The Marion Family blog said...

Charles and I think that she is one of the cutest little girls that we have ever seen...her and Morgan! Ha! Miss seeing you! Hope yall are having a good summer!