Monday, July 6, 2009

Dog Days...



So, I don't think I have ever quite figured out why they are called "the dog days of summer." But then again, I haven't really put much thinking into it. All I know, is that I LOVE the summertime. Always have. I think it helps growing up in Savannah where the beach is at the most 20 minutes away, the rivers are just waiting for you to jump in and the smell of the salt air just sticks with you. Maybe also since Mom would plop on the beach with a book at sun-up with us girls and slather us with sunscreen and let us play until sun-down. So, I have a soft spot for the summertime. Yeah, I do hate the heat though. Especially when I don't have a cool retreat at my becons call.

But, anyway. On to the point of this post. Tonight as I was grilling, I realized that this is just one of the many reasons that I love these dog days. First of all, it was still light outside at 7:30 and I love that. Of course, Louisa gets in bed a bit later, but I figure we aren't damaging her too much if we let her stay up and play outside and enjoy herself. Besides, it isn't like she is really going to sleep anyways. :) Second, I can actually afford fresh produce. Corn, squash, zucchini, things that I shy away from usually since they aren't in the budget, are piled into my grocery cart (the car ones at Kroger to make the little one happy). Third, I get to sit outside, enjoy an ice-cold Miller Lite (one of my favorite past-times)

while I grill and watch Louisa chase the dogs around the yard. I sat down once I put the shrimp and corn on the grill, enjoyed a sip of my bevo and realized, this is the life. The only thing missing...my husband. Seriously UMC, I want to hang out with him too. Please let him come home today.

Here are some pictures to help you enjoy my dog days, since the camera is usually attached to me. Tonight we ate spicy ginger grilled shrimp, fried okra and garlic butter corn. Yumm, yumm in the tumm tumm!





PS - so, Byron was able to get home right in time for dinner and I was super excited about that. Well, funny thing was later when we were talking I noticed he had something in his teeth. So, as usual, I told him but for some reason he couldn't get it out. So, I said, let's go look in the mirror, and when we did, we both started giggling and almost didn't stop. The corn (which I included black pepper in the brush with the butter and garlic) had left bits of black pepper EVERYWHERE in our teeth. It was hilarious. Byron had like 8 pieces and I had like 4. Crazy! Good thing we realized as I was thinking I may make the corn when we entertain. Maybe not...

No comments: