Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Year In Review



Okay, so I know that I have already blogged like a zillion times in the last few days, can you tell I am procrastinating? Right now the task at hand is finishing the painting of Loiusa's new room. And so far, in the last month painting just is not going my way and I currently have my britches in a wad because the pink will take 2 coats and I feel the same way about a second coat as I do about priming. Plus, I still have trim to paint and I am just over it all right now. My get-up-and-go is gone, and I really have no motivation right now to find it.

So, instead I will blog again. Get excited. I did feel the need to look at the year in review. It seems to me that this year just started yesterday. I guess spending the majority of my time in front of my sewing machines makes it seem that way. I mean, I am pretty sure it was a good year - I don't have many bad thoughts about it, I am sure things weren't always perfect throughout the year...but then again, aren't all years like that? And also, I like to think of life as a journey. It can't always be smooth roads and boring interstate. Lately I have realized that I prefer to travel those small, bumpy country roads that allow you to relax and not worry about being crushed by an 18-wheeler that is texting while driving 95 mph. Those roads always lead to the neatest of places, not perfect places...but none-the-less interesting. Ramble, ramble, ramble. Let's cut to the chase. Since I couldn't think of one single thing to wrap up the year, I decided to point out all the things that made 2009 a good journey for me.

  • I fought my fears and became a stay-at-home Mom. This was quite possibly one of the biggest adjustments to our family, and although I miss being a nurse - I know that this way by far one of the best decisions I could have ever made. I only wish that all mothers could have the opportunity to stay with their children. It is NOT an easy job. In fact, there are days that I would love to put my scrubs on and go to work knowing that eventhough nursing is stressful and hard....I can leave it at shift change. You don't get shift-changes as a Mom. The closest I come to shift changes are when I walk outside and scream my head off and get strange looks from the neighbors or people driving down the street, but it is my moment. And as I have said before, there IS a method to my madness.
  • I went out on a limb and became a small-business owner. This defied my own pre-set limitations and has proven to be that "identity" that I thought I would lose when becoming a stay-at-home Mom. It provides me an outlet, and a VERY small amount of change in the pockets so that Louisa and I can enjoy ourselves without me "going" to work. Don't get me wrong, for anyone that owns their own business, just as I said before...you don't get to clock out.
  • Louisa developed her personality. I guess it has always been there, but she is now fully able to express it all, bless her. She is quite the spit-fire, drama queen most animated 2 year-old that I know. She challenges me on a daily basis, and sometimes I fail. But she doesn't mind, she thinks I am the best. :)
  • I learned that I am not always a good mother. I had set high expectations of myself as a Mom when I was pregnant. I just never envisioned it being this difficult. I wish that I was the perfect Mom, but then again...does that person exist?
  • I came to terms with me. I am who I am. There are some traits about me (my inner control-freak, my OCD, my inability to accept change, etc) that I may not like, but if changed, I change as a person. So, I learned to love the quarkiness. Embrace it. Living with yourself is hard sometimes, but if you learn to go with it...it makes it a tad easier.
  • Strangely enough, for me, it is very therapeutic to pour my heart out to the public on the internet and have complete strangers that I think of as my internet friends soothe your soul. Thank you to all of my internet buddies, I hope to one day meet you all!
  • I already knew this...but confirmed it in the last year. Best friends really CAN have 4 legs, a wagging tail and a wet nose.
  • Speaking of best friends, I have found that life is easier with them. Thankfully I have some of the most awesome set of girl-friends here in Mississippi that make my life all the easier. I couldn't make it here without them.
  • My husband became a 3rd year resident. What a huge accomplishment, not just being a 3rd year...but the journey that he has embarked on since the moment he decided to become a doctor just amazes me. Then again, I always say that he NEVER ceases to amaze me, and he really doesn't. He is the smartest person that I know (aside from me, haha...just kidding - I was getting too serious for a while) and I am so thankful that he does what he does. I am also so thankful that he supports me in who I am. In marriage, that is huge. The best part of him being a 3rd year...is that this December marks our half-way point here in MS. Yippee....I can just hear the pine trees back in GA calling my name.
  • I learned that sometimes, whether you like it or not, the people you count on can let you down and disappoint you. I think this is one of those things that makes being an adult so difficult.
  • I witnessed countless friends finding out they are expecting. Some of these were people who had been waiting, and even though it is always a blessing, it just gives me the chills when dear friends get what they have been waiting so patiently for. What a fun time in our lives.
  • I learned to lay sod. Simple as it sounds, I guess I can add it to the resume.
  • I learned that yes, I do have limits. And although I may not want to...it is best to stick with them.
  • I learned that no good deed goes unpunished.
  • I learned to be careful what you wish for. These last 2 are pieces of advice that came from a very wise person, and he would tell me both of these almost on a daily basis. He is right, as he usually is...but I find that since I no longer get to grace his presence daily and he doesn't get to remind me - I have to learn the hard way.
  • But most of all, in this last year (and gladly it was sooner rather than later...although later than I would have liked, but is that the truth or just the control-freak talking) that family comes FIRST. Always. No matter what.
So, all in all...looks like it was a pretty darn good year, right? I have no regrets. I would love to know what 2009 meant to everyone else. Comment if you want, there will be no random drawing to win something, but I would like to learn about the people that read too. It shouldn't always be about me. :)

Until next year...

3 comments:

WackyD said...

I'll just smile, laugh and miss you guys.

Miss it, but Merry Christmas and soon, Happy New Year. Hope we get to see you guys soon.

With love and smiles,


Daniel (and Kelley)

Brandi Smith Photography said...

Our year overall has been great! We have been blessed beyond measure. We can't really complain, however the last 4 months have been very trying.
1.)The house thing NEVER seemed to work out (finally did!)
2.)Lost my small "job"
3.)Husband was gonna have to have surgery and miss 2 months off work due to an injury to his knee, but didn't, it was miracoulasly healed by the time he had his MRI and went to the 3rd doctor (we know who did it).
4.)Had to put out $4,000 in a matter of 2 months not including regular bills etc...had it, dunno how it got there...just one of life's many blessings
5.)Transmission went out on one of the vehicles
6.)Other vehicle was already in the shop
7.)Husband got put in the hospital on Thanksgiving Day and I got the flu literally the next day
8.)Sickness has gone back and forth through the house
*List goes on and on.....
So, we may have had what seemed like a bad four months, but overall all it has taught us a lot of lessons on life. To appreciate things such as jobs, vehicles, health, and even just the small things. Everyone has a storm they have to go through and we just have to learn to surivive the storm to help the next person that goes through it.

New Years resolution...be patient and stop freaking out. Tell myself, "self, life happens it's not the end of the world!" ;)

Russ, Anna, Pepper and Vesper said...

So glad you had such a great year at home with Louisa, it IS hard but soooo worth it. We are really, really trying to live a "greener" life this year