Saturday, March 13, 2010

It Isn't Easy Being Green

Avocados. I love them. I could live off of them. What I don’t love is avocado green. Who ever thought this was a good idea to use this color for appliances and bathroom fixtures should be ashamed. Our guest bath was pink, in fact…our tub still is, but one would never know until you looked behind the shower curtain. And there is actually a nice pretty turquoise color that some kitchen appliances and bath fixtures used to be made of. However, avocado green is our bathroom. In all of its 1950’s glory. I just don’t quite understand what happened back in the day as far as style and most importantly architecture. I mean, why in a decade did the ceilings have to drop to an awful 7 feet? Why did details just leave the arena? And why did all taste just get thrown out the window? I mean, it is kinda funny to think that in 50 years granite counters and stainless appliances will be so not cool and replaced with something “cooler” for the times. Silly isn’t it? Looks as though I am getting off the subject…so let me try and focus here.

My, oh my. I am grossed out just looking at the pictures. And yes, we have lived in this bathroom for the last 2.5 years. Well, not necessarily lived in it, since we cannot stand it, but have dealt with it. It is gross and nasty and foul and just asinine. And the funny thing is, I bleached the ever-living mess out of it when we moved in. No matter, it still remained funky. And not a good, fun brownie-goose kind of funky, a nasty funky. Ewww.

So, now that all of you are dying to have our master bathroom after the lovely introduction are you ready for some pics? Now, don’t get too jealous okay?

And so now that you are all grossed out and wishing I had put the photos in black and white, you will be just as happy to see the following demolition photos. And, just as appreciative….not AS appreciative, but you can at least feel my pain.

Now for the best part. Byron is still not convinced that I need to let the world know this, but my feelings on the subject are….honesty. I mean, we had NO control over this. It happened, thankfully…oh so thankfully we had no clue. I was convinced after years of awful caulking and the absence of that once we pulled up the tub the floor would be rotted straight through. This is our luck. I was already prepared to be replacing some floor boards. Well, to my surprise, there were NO rotten boards, no moisture and no mildew. Instead, under our tub was a nice, dry, warm haven for these guys however many years ago.


Oh my. Yes those are rat skeletons. I am no pathologist or archeologist or whatever the person would be that could determine how long something had been dead by looking at the bones, but I am convincing myself that these guys kicked the bucket before we moved in. Oh holy snaps. How disgusting!! Don’t run, my readers. Just one of those lovely discoveries that people make when renovating. Sadly, we have been hoping to find a hidden compartment of money or jewelry or something….nope, just dead vermin. Oh, and if you are wondering if those were the friends of the Mickey Byron saw a few months ago, they are not. Mickey has not been seen, nor evidence of, again. Phew.

So, goodbye green bathroom. Well, we still have the floor to deal with, but that will be gone soon too. Byron has worked diligently this morning ripping out all the nastiness. It takes a lot for him to get grossed out as far as houses and such go (I will sometimes have the twitches and want to throw up walking through a house if we or someone is house-hunting, while it doesn’t faze him) but today he openly admitted getting grossed out. It’s that bad. But, thankfully we have gorgeous marble to lay on the floors, shiny white sleek pedestal Kohler sinks and fun new faucets to go in, a new white bathtub (that thankfully, oh so thankfully….has a slanted back so I can actually take a bath, yay) that has no evidence of the funk that was all over the bottom of the old green one that refused to come off with any sort of scrubbing. I just cannot wait. The plumber is coming next weekend to run more lines so we can have 2 sinks. So, I cannot give you a date on the completion…but have NO fear, I will for sure be showing it all off in the end. :)

Now, if we can just survive in one hall bathroom and if I can make it through all the dust and disaster that comes with a renovation. Keep those fingers crossed for me.

Until next time…

8 comments:

Sarah Broadus said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!! We had a rat that died under our kitchen cabinet. when we were deciding on where the placement for the fridge will go when we finally get around to it...we pulled up the cabinet there. And yup. dead rat. Didn't snap a picture! wish we had! we could have compared!! Just think...the bath you have been sanitizing yourself in had dead rats under it!! lOl

Nora said...

OMG!!! The rat carcasses leave me speechless...I can only wonder how they even got in there and how long they were!! Can't wait to see the finished product looks.

The Fab Five said...

OMG!!! i was like yay and clapping at the demo and then you threw me for a loop with the bones! EEK!! ok..now I'm ok. whew

Shannon said...

i have no word!! oh my gosh!! love reading your blog! hope you had a great weekend :)
Shannon Lewis

Russ, Anna, Pepper and Vesper said...

I am DYING!!!!!!! How could you even stand to take the picture, LOL!!!!!! I cannot wait to see the finished product, not as much as you though, I realize. Going to be gorgeous am sure

Brad, Amy, and Bes said...

That rat!! That picture!! I wanted to look away so badly but I had my nose stuck up to the computer screen absolutely horrified! Oh. My. Word. On the other hand, are you sure you are not at my grandmother's house ripping up her bathroom? It looks idential. She has even accented the lovely avocado green with an english ivy motif. =) Can't wait to see after pics!

lnichols said...

I am dying bc we had the same floor only a lighter shade of green! haha

SaraJane said...

I would die. Absolutely die if I saw rat skeletons. Then after I awoke from the dead, I'd probably set my house on fire and run away.