Monday, March 15, 2010

Seven Years Ago Today...

Just a short (well, I hardly write “short” so bare with me here) trip down good-ole memory lane…

7 years ago today. Do you remember where you were? Because I sure do. It is a day that I will never, ever forget. 7 years ago today my life changed. For the better. And here is how it all unfolded.

March 15, 2003….I spent most of this day in my bed, my couch and then my front porch swing on my fabulous little farmhouse on Norwood Ave in Savannah, Ga. I had just graduated from UGA the summer before and was trying out my life as a “grown-up.” However, I was laid out all day no thanks to a fun-filled night the night before. For those of you not familiar with Savannah and St. Patrick’s Day, let me fill you in. It is nuts. For a week you cannot even function in the town. It is SO filled with people, and green beer and green beads, etc. that it is impossible to move downtown. It is like Mardi Gras for New Orleans. I find it hilarious that the people in Jackson, MS where I live now talk about how they have this HUGE St. Patty’s celebration…but there is absolutely NO comparison here. Savannah is full of Irish Catholics. Filled to the brim. Give them a reason to celebrate…and hoop it up they will. And they know how to party. In fact, it is not just the people of the town, tourists come in from everywhere (hotels get booked a year in advance if not more) to experience the town that dyes the beautiful fountains of downtown green, the town that will serve green grits and green beer for weeks in March, the town that has port-a-potties lined up for ages in the breathtaking historic district. Back in high school and college, I was right smack in the middle of it all. LOVED it. However, now that I am a “grown-up” (insert some snickers here) I refuse to step foot near Savannah in the middle of March. It has become a madhouse. Back to the story. The night before some friends from UGA were in town for the festivities and we partied it up. This left for a lovely, nice little green leprechaun that haunted me all the next day, which was a Saturday. Well, as I was lying on my porch swing listening to the radio and hoping my head would give up with the pounding, one of my best girl friends called to invite me to dinner. I quickly told her that I was so hung-over that I didn’t think I could move, much less shower…but she told me that I needed to come and meet them. Some of her husband’s fraternity brothers were in town for the weekend/festivities and she needed another girl to hang out with and then she hit me with the line that really sunk in, “I mean, Amy, you have to eat, right?” True. I did have to eat. And they were going to Jalepenos (a Mexican restaurant down the street from my house) and I figured that if anything could make me feel better it was some Miller and some chips and salsa. So, I fought the pounding and made it (albeit spinning) to the shower and freshened up. Let’s rewind back a few months to around Christmas time. I was sitting at the bar of the same friend’s house while she was cleaning the kitchen and she was trying to help me in my oh-so-troubled love life. You see, have you ever dated? It may be fun for some, but I was having a rough go at it. I didn’t much care for it and was quite frankly in a funk because I just didn’t feel like I was meeting any candidates that fit me. So, she began talking about how she was going to hook me up with one of her husband’s fraternity brothers. I was not so amused. I felt like I was now charity, and that made me sad. But, I let Katy continue talking and figured I would just let it all go. This boy didn’t live in Savannah, what were the chances? Fast forward again to that Saturday in March. I get to Jalepenos and of course am WAY early. I sit outside with my nice cold bevo and wait for everyone else to get there. When they did, along with Katy came this guy named Byron. I remember he was wearing a pair of Levi’s and a red plaid shirt that he had rolled up the sleeves. He bought me a beer as we waited for our table to be ready. I had no clue at this time that this was the same boy Katy had told me about months before (remember…my mind was slowly regaining some brain cells from the night before and I never put 2 and 2 together.) But he was. And this is what I remember from dinner. Him. And nothing else. I think we sat down at the end of the table and didn’t even converse with anyone else. No one else even mattered. I was smitten with this boy, and I couldn’t put a finger on it. We talked and we talked and we talked and were so engrossed in each other that I think the other half of the table was talking about us and we didn’t even realize. We left the restaurant and went to my house for a few more drinks and then to a local bar (Sandfly Bar and Grill….what we used to call “the trap”) to continue the festivities. We were young, and this is what we did. It was fun and I will remember that night forever. I don’t know if I have ever talked so much in one night, to one single person. It was like we had so much to say. I don’t even know if I have ever been so interested in what someone had to say. He was so new and refreshing from all the boys that I knew and grew up with in Savannah and hung out with in Athens. It was like a breath of fresh air. I knew upon meeting him that night that this boy was going to turn my life upside down. I knew that I didn’t think I wanted to live it without him in it. I knew that he and I were something special. We had a bond. He was so smart and I just loved listening to him. He was brilliant. He was so cute and so new. We all (thanks to some partying) stayed at my friend Katy’s house since it wasn’t a great idea to have everyone drive in the state we were in. The next morning, Byron had to leave. He had to get in the car and go back to Barnesville. He lived 3 and a half hours away. It confused me. I had no clue of what to do now. Something VERY interesting happened that morning, that most people know the story…it is almost legend with us. It was told at our rehearsal dinner, and I don’t know if Byron will ever live it down. I, however, will cut him some slack here on the blog and not tell everyone who reads, unless he later tells me I can. But, needless to say, I was already smitten. It didn’t matter.

So, as I can see I’ve already started a novel and knowing I need to get up and shower and get my day started, I will just tell you the rest is history. You see, my husband and I were set up. The good old-fashioned way. We hit it off instantaneously. We were inseparable, well besides the many miles of highway between us. We were smitten with each other and we made it work. We would switch off weekends to travel to see the other. Eventually we met in the middle and both moved to Macon. But today, I think back and thank goodness that Katy persuaded me to go to dinner. It makes me shudder sometimes to think that if I had given in to that mean little green leprechaun (some people in Savannah now call him Mr. Scary) I never would have met the love of my life. I wouldn’t be where I am today. Isn’t it crazy how a single moment can change your life? It fascinates me. So, here we are, 7 years later in Jackson, MS living out our lives together with 2 dogs, a tabby cat and a precocious tow-headed toddler. Life is great, no…life is grand.

Until next time…

12 comments:

Kevin, Kara, Kolton, & Kannon said...

Ok - so you can't leave us hanging...I'm dying to hear the rest of the story!!!
You have such a way with words...I love checking the updates on your blog and seeing what is new in your household!

kosekcasa said...

Time for the sequel...what happened before he drove back? Ah!

Katie said...

I am with the rest of the gal's what happened!?!?!?
I love, love, love your posts! xoxo

Carol said...

I want to know too!!! Come on, you already had me teary eyed!

The Bryans said...

Ooo, I know! I'm glad that you were already smitten and made it into the family!

The Fab Five said...

you best be calling me soon to tell me the rest of the story..

Ashley said...

DON'T leave me in such suspense!! what is the "very interesting thing" that happened???

Russ, Anna, Pepper and Vesper said...

CUTER than CUTE!!!! Now Byron HAS to allow you to tell us what he did that next morning

Erin said...

What a great story to tell your kids and grandkids! Jesse and I met very much the same way. But I'm w/ everybody else. Tell us the rest, pleassssse!

WackyD said...

I'll continue laughing to myself, as I know...the rest of the story. Yall kids stay cute and sweet.

Elizabeth said...

Hmmm...I met my hubs two days AFTER St. Patty's Day in Savannah...five years ago. And I was hungover.

meredithjones26 said...

Here's the deal, I met your sis Katie a couple months back, our kids played..we became friends on facebook..saw her maiden name, immediately thought of you, couldn't believe it..so then I went to your blogs, LOVE it...your lil girl is darling...this story is amazing, and I am so happy for you. Clothing line? Wow, hand sewn...the clothes are beautiful..good luck with everything..and yes, that lil green leprechaun got me this year..hadn't been to the parade in 10 years..that lil green man haunted me for 2 days..:)