Wednesday, October 13, 2010

a first on here...tutorial

So, I am going to try a little something new. Crazy, right? I doubt that many people will really want to read this - or even bother going through the trouble. But I figured, what the hey...why not? Also, I am not all fancy-like and know how to link a tutorial and always make it available and such...so if you think you may need this in the future, maybe bookmark it??

Pregnancy. Let's just stop and talk about this. I really had no clue how easy Louisa's pregnancy was. No clue. I was as big as a house and couldn't really sleep - but other than that - I was fine. This one, on the other hand...has been a roller coaster. From puking my brains out for months to migraines to cramping to fatigue, etc and to the much nastier side effect - CRAZINESS. Yep, I admit it...this little boy has me certifiably looney tunes. Straight up bipolar sometimes, manic the next, you name it. It brings me back to psychiatric nursing, and I slowly recognize the "symptoms" in myself on a daily basis and it is scary. Oh, and the tears. Geeze. Look at me wrong and I will cry. This is so embarrassing, the crying and the craziness. But, I am thinking that maybe if I am having all these hormone-mishaps WHILE pregnant that when the baby comes I will be good. Right? I had a hard time after Louisa was born - and would love not to have to travel down that path again. Ha.

Anyways - on to the craziness and point of this post. I was sitting in my sewing room this morning in a pair of jeans that were not buttoned or zipped (granted I just organized a ton of maternity clothes yesterday...I decided to put these on, don't ask). Next thing I knew...the manic part took over and I was sitting in my sewing chair in my undies while ripping off the waistband of my jeans determined to turn them into maternity jeans. What in the world? Yeah, I was asking myself the same thing. I have a few pairs of maternity jeans, but I do LIVE in blue jeans...so I figured might as well have another pair, right? Sure crazy lady, just nod your head and smile. :) These are not my favorite pairs, and I have hemmed them so I cannot really consign them...so I figured if I messed them up, no big deal. I found them on consignment for like $12.

I had read tutorials before when I had considered converting some of my jeans, but the idea slowly left as soon as I sat down long enough to try and locate my size 16 needle. But this time...I just went. And it was easy. I didn't use anything but a belly band and a pair of jeans. It worked out quite nice. You can do this too...and I am going to share pictures. Just see.

Items Needed:
jeans
belly band
sewing machine
seam ripper
size 16 needle
bottle of wine. haha, just kidding. just seeing if my students were paying attention.

First - I ripped up the bottom seam of all of the belt loops.


Then, I started to rip off the waistband. I don't really know if this is necessary, you can probably just cut it off - but I was too afraid of what digits I may remove with thick denim and my Ginghers. You all know my history with them. This way, I saved my digits and only poked myself twice with the seam ripper.

So, I took off waistband and was then left with this.

Next step - I sewed the top of the zipper part shut. Once again, don't know if this is necessary, but I did it.

Okay, now I grabbed my belly band - I used one of my black ones since I have a few. Girls - if you do not have these in your maternity wardrobe...you seriously need to get a few. As my husband says, "Wow, those things are pretty indispensable aren't they?" YES. Go get you some. And you put right side of belly band to right side of jeans (I don't really think there is a proper top or bottom of the band...so have your fun) and pin it to the jeans. Now, since the belly band has stretch, it will be smaller in diameter than your jeans. That is fine, you just have to keep stretching it some while you sew it together. Here is what it looks like pinned. Messy, huh?

Now, this next part is where I thought I would lose my religion at my sewing machine...but I didn't. I was very amazed. I was however holding my mouth just right the entire time and sweating and getting ready for my newest G-rated 4-letter: Gargamels. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SIZE 16 NEEDLE. I repeat, size 16 needle. If not, your needle will break and you will say bad words. I used a zig-zag stitch so that it would still have some give and sewed the belly band to the waistband of the jeans. As you can see, my stitch isn't straight. I went back over again to reinforce and did it lower so that the first row of stitches really didn't matter that much. Make sense?

Next, I scooted on over to the serger to make it all pretty-like. You don't have to do this, so if you don't have a serger...not a huge deal. I just like my seams finished.

Then, I over-achieved and grabbed some of the belt loops and put "handles" in the front and back so that I would have a place to pull up my britches.

Viola.

Now, I have another pair of jeans that will expand with the belly and I can either fold the band in half...

Or use full coverage. This picture makes me laugh...look at how hard I am squinting. Ha. Oh, and pay no attention to the dirty mirror - my maid hasn't showed her face in a few weeks.

How 'bout them apples? I figure if I am gonna be crazy, I might as well have some fun blue jeans in the process, huh? Speaking of - this reminds me to talk about some slight craziness from the first pregnancy. This was not nearly as bad, but I found this lady on ebay when I was first pregnant with Lou that would convert your jeans to maternity jeans for you. Since I didn't have my rocking sewing machine at that point (I was working with a hand-me-down that brought out the worst of 4-letters) I wasn't even thinking of attempting this. So, the oxygen didn't flow properly to the brain one day and I packaged up all of my nice, designer jeans and sent them off. You see, this was before chirrens, and I worked as a RN in the hospital and was making nice money that I didn't have to share - so I had indulged on denim. Well, it was great during my pregnancy...but in the short time afterwards in which I was having a bit of a hard time, I decided that I wasn't going going to be having more chirrens, and I tossed it all. Oh my gosh, my heart skips a beat when I think about it. I mean, I guess that is what I did since I still cannot located any of those blue jeans. Only one pair that I kept because they were my faves. I mean, are you kidding?

So, as I have gotten off topic and I really need to get back to the sewing room for other items, let me close this "tutorial." Likey?

3 comments:

Russ, Anna, Pepper and Vesper said...

First, I am sweating realizing you just cut up a pair of Citizens!!!!! Second, damn, girl you rocked that out!!!!!

Keri Sullivan Ninness said...

okay- all i can say is ditto to anna's comment!!

Sara said...

I did that when preggo with Arielle. Only the jeans were truly cheap... like $12 new. And I failed and ruined them. And I love a belly pic!! Thanks. Makes me smile. :)