Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tried and True

There are certain things about childhood that you think back on and smile. Things that are so trivial and silly almost but that still, make you smile. Some of the 'crafts' that are done in preschool and kindergarten and such are classics. Tried and true - over and again, they are always big hits with the kiddos.

Take for example, this beaut that came home from school with Louisa today.

The penne pasta necklace. Talk about a walk down memory lane. I remember making one of these. I can almost be positive that I was sitting in Mrs. Francie Browne's kindergarten class alongside of my side-kick Jennifer Sanderlin (she is now Jennifer Hall). Now, whether or not this day was before or after our infamous sad-gram, I am not sure - but I can remember walking home from school (yes, I walked home from school) with my pasta necklace clinking around my neck and being proud of my fashion statement.

I can also remember when I was a little older and my younger sister brought home the pasta necklace clinking and proud as can be. I remember thinking, "how silly is that? how baby-ish is that?" I mean, you know how us older sisters (and middle children) think.

But today, when it was around the neck of my favorite little fireball, I was almost brought to tears. How is it that a necklace made out of pasta and on a pipe-cleaner can bring about such emotions? I am not sure. But the smile on her face brought me back instantly to me bopping down the street with my very own carb-loaded necklace.

Here I am getting all mushy again. Crazy what a second baby can do to you. :) But before all the mush continues...I will fill you in on the convo in the car on the way home. I was oohing and ahhing all over her necklace and she said, "Why fanks, Mommy. I jes lub it too. I made it for you for modders day, but I fink I am going to keep it since I am much prettier in it than you would be probably. Otay?"

Hmmmmm, I might have to agree.

Love this child. :)

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Amy-she is BEAUTIFUL! I love this picture! If it was up to Madison's dad he would save every scrap piece of paper she draws on but I am a little ocd and so only special crafts make the cut! the pasta necklace and the picture she drew of me w/ my pregnant belly are my favorites! :) It's the most hilarious thing I have ever seen! You MUST print that picture for her to have so she can show her little one someday!

Rachel said...

i love you and lou and the necklace!

kosekcasa said...

Too funny! Kate made me a jewelry box at school. It sat on my dresser for about12hours and this morning I found it in kate's room, filled with beaded necklaces. Oh well, at least I still have the flower from jack, his head as the center of the flower...now, that's a tried and true craft as well!