Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Life's a Beach

Before I talk about our fab-a-lous vacay to the beach, I must first address some issues at hand.

Yesterday, I failed as a Mom. All you Mommas out there reading, you know that feeling. It is the kind of day that when you finally crawl to bed, you just want to cry because you know you lost. I fought the battle of a stay at home Mom, and I lost. The day didn't start off bad, so I am not quite sure when things went south. I know for sure that suicide hour came about 2 hours too early, and it hit not just for Nash...but Lou too. By 5 pm, we were all crying. It was not fun or pretty. I felt all I did for a few hours straight was yell and discipline. And I don't like that feeling. At one point, I got my feelings hurt by my 4 year old. Never thought that someone so young could do that, but she did. This is what happened.

L - Mommy, I fink you need to remember that Jesus is watching you be so mean to me.

A - Lou, I am not being mean to you I am simply telling you that I need you to follow the rules and listen to Mommy.

L - Well, he sees that you make mean rules and that is mean to me.

A - Lou, just because you don't like the rules doesn't mean that they are mean.

L - Ummmm, yes it does. Jesus and Santa Clause are watching and they would prefer that you be sweet to me and make the rules how I want them. Sometimes you are just being the mean mommy and not being sweet.

A - How could I be the sweet mommy then?

L - By listening to what I say and letting me pick the rules.

Ugh. See. I knew we weren't going to get anywhere...but it still hurt my feelings that she was calling me mean and telling me that I wasn't sweet. Almost to the point where I wanted to give in. But I remembered, if I gave in...I would win the award of the 'sweet mom' at the moment - but she wouldn't take me seriously down the road. I need to stick with it and be consistent. But it is so hard when your little one thinks you are just doing things to be mean to her. Ouch. And how about bringing Jesus and Santa Clause into it? Geesh. Guilt-trip anyone?

So, when I finally got in bed last night with a heavy heart and feeling defeated and just beat up I remembered a quote I read in a book one day.

"There are days in which you feel right in line with who you want to be as a mother, and days that you fail miserably. But, the importance is that you get up the next day to try, try again."

And, so I knew that I needed to get up and try again. But, those days are so hard and they really hurt. Being a parent is way harder than anyone can prepare you for. It is the most rewarding thing ever, but man...it can suck the life right out of you sometimes.

So, I got up today with a new attitude. I can do this...I can be a good mom and set rules at the same time. But before it was even 8 am I had already: fought with a 4 year old about what shoes she was going to wear, fought with a 4 year old about how she was going to wear her hair, fought with a 4 year old about what she was going to eat for breakfast (see a trend here?), cleaned up doggie varmit off the floor, fed a cat that had a bowl full of food but was still walking in and out of my legs tripping me the whole time, crawled under my car to retrieve a paci that fell out of the car and bounced on the garage floor, backed into the garage door (this is a repeating offense that is all my fault) and gotten halfway to Lou's school only to realize her bag was still in the stroller in the house.

Needless to say, my coffee date with a good friend that always makes me laugh could not have come at a better time. She brightened my day and lifted my mood and we are trying it all over again. However, I will have to say that I am definitely looking forward to this afternoon and nap time and hopefully an afternoon thunderstorm so I can walk into my sewing room and get lost in fabric and design.

Now, for the beach trip. Let me just say...I could totally live at the beach. I grew up there, and really feel that I belong there. :) It just melts away any troubles. The funny thing is...I cannot stand the sand, but I love the beach. Ironic, isn't it?

We took off for a week in Destin. It couldn't have come at a better time for any of us. We had the most perfect condo that let us bring our sweet doggies (if anyone ever needs a place there, please email...I highly recommend where we stayed) and wild hooligan chirrens. We did nothing. Well, let me correct that...we sat on the beach, we played in the water, we read books, we played in the pool and we slept. It was fabulous.

Louisa had a blast. Twice in the week at dinner she actually said she was tired. This child never admits to being tired. She was beat. She played hard. She loved the water, she loved the sand and she even loved to chase the eagles (seagulls). Of course she loved the boiled peanuts. Her and Byron would spend hours in the water searching for hermit crabs. I think she could live at the beach too. And the child tanned through layers and layers of spf 50...and don't get me started on how white her hair is now. Little Coppertone baby.

My baby Nash loved the water. He was not a fan of the heat. That poor child sweats like it is his job. He loved to splash his hands in the water and grinned and grinned and grinned. He is not, however a fan of a wet bathing suit which shouldn't surprise me in the least since the child prefers not to wear clothes. I call him my little baby Jay (naked as a jay bird). He also enjoyed all the attention from his Mimi, Gan-daddy and Guinee. Rotten little thing.

I will now bombard you with beach photos...

Back to the real world...we have a TOOTH, finally! Poor sweetness has been 'teething' for months now. And now, at 6 months he has his first little one poking up through the gums. It is so funny, because by the time Lou was like 5 months she had 4 teeth. It really is funny how different they are. I joke all the time that he cannot sleep through the night or sit up on his own (poor baby has a head the size of his big sis) but he can sure escape his bouncy seat and take off his clothes. Pure boy. So, the new thing at our house is to watch how Nash 'escapes' his bouncy seat. It is inevitable. Turn your head for 5 minutes...and poof. Here is proof:

Louisa started pre-K on Monday. She goes 5 days a week and I am still trying to accept it. She of course loves it and even told me the other day when I picked her up that "soon I am gonna be so smart that I will be in high school learning algie-bra." Don't remind me boo...here she is on her first day.

Why do my chirrens feel the need to grow up? Don't blink. It is crazy how fast it goes...

3 comments:

Christi said...

wow that first part of this sounds like a lot of hours spent here. why do we insist on trying to argue with 4 year olds (or almost 4 year olds, in my case!) and to bring jesus and santa claus was hitting below the belt!!! i know i am very grateful for those times that make it worth it all!!!and that i can appreciate them each and every time. great beach pictures.

Meggie said...

I LOVE all the pictures! Beautiful family! And I love your honesty and reading all about your adventures as a stay-at-home mom. =) I am definitely interested in the place ya'll stayed in Destin. We always vacation on the Gulf and it can be hard to find a nice, pet-friendly place to stay. I couldn't find your email but wanted to go ahead and ask. Thanks!

Amanda Jones said...

I love the pics....beautiful family!!

I have had quite a few days like you described and Colby sounds just like Lou!!

The other day he said, "You are not making a happy face and I'm not proud of you at all!"

Well of course I'm not making a happy face....I told you 10 times to quit....geez!!