Monday, August 8, 2011

lizards, wizards & shoes...oh my!


Yes, we are still alive and kicking. All of us...well, save maybe a lizard - but you will read more about that later.

Spare time lately has been devoted to my new line for brownie-goose. It is by far my most favorite yet and I am afraid that I may not be able to upstage it with anything else here on out. But, regardless, I am loving it and it is taking every spare moment when the chirrens are dry, fed and content. So...this poor, pitiful neglected blog.

I will start off by talking about Louisa's new-found FEAR of bugs. And I mean...fear. She has never minded them by any means. Granted, she is not fond of them and you would never find her picking them up or befriending them. But lawdy, she has taken it all to a new level now. Take for instance, the other morning I was actually able to shower. Stay at homers, you know what I mean and how precious a shower is. I was just about to wash my hair when I heard Lou scream bloody murder from the den. I am not kidding, my heart stopped and my blood ran cold. I grabbed my towel and my phone, preparing to call 911 because I was sure someone was in my house by the way she was still screaming. I run down the hall dripping water and shampoo all over the place to find Louisa safe and sound, and alone. Phew. Except for the roach that had her all in a tizzy. Once I was able to start breathing again and get her to stop screaming, I told her it was fine and that it was just a roach and that she had probably paralyzed him with her scream. Well, she wasn't going to be okay until I picked it up and disposed of it. Mind you, I am still soaking wet disposing of said rodent. Now, growing up in Savannah (the home of roaches that fly and are 2 inches long) I am not afraid of these things. I don't like them...but I mean, you live in Savannah...you have roaches/palmetto bugs. Well, I get Lou calmed back down and back to coloring and start walking back down the hall to continue my shower only to find that Lou's bloody murder screams have now woken Nash. You see...this is why a shower is so precious. Shaved legs are a luxury. Make-up is a has-been and deodorant is sometimes an after-thought. Getting dressed in something other than running clothes, just a bonus. Fixing your hair - now you are just showing off.

So, I was not surprised one bit the other day when I heard the same bloody murder scream, followed by, "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMYYYY there is a wizard (she corrected me the other day and told me that they are actually called lizards, but I prefer not to let her speak correctly and therefore refer to them as wizards) in the tub!!!" Now, mind you - these wizards are famous at our house. They come out in the summer and hang out on the windows and fascinate the crud out of the striped kitty, Murray. They are these almost transparent gecko-type things that sometimes unfortunately wind up inside the house. I am sure it is more to their detriment than ours. So, I go and look and sure enough, bless his heart...he has found himself in the tub. I grab a cup to scoop him up and put him outside and don't you know that little booger tries to crawl straight up my arm. Now, I don't have anything against wizards. In fact, I think they are cute...BUT I do not like ANYTHING that moves quickly and sneakily and gives me the heebs. Well, that one finally cooperated, got in the cup and found a new home in my purple grass in my urns on the front porch.

So, as I was coming to bed the other night (no doubt in the wee hours as I had been crazy in the sewing room) this is the sight I saw next to the vent when I took off my shoes. Pay no attention to all the fur and dust and goo on the floors, our maid ran off with the yard man and I haven't seen her since.

Now, this thing scared the MESS out of me. However, I didn't scream...but instead jumped and almost peed my pants. He couldn't have been longer than 3 inches. Just presh. Well, he tolerated me staring at him for a while, then got shy and scurried under the baseboard.

Well, I noticed after I got my j's on and washed my face and all that jazz he got curious again.

So, I went to get a cup to save this little fellow too, and then I came back in the room and found this. Oooops and uh-oh.

So, I went on about my going to bed and fell fast asleep. Only to wake up about an hour later to Murray making her howling noises that she usually does in the middle of the night when she finds a bug or clean piper (pipe cleaner) or qth-pick (q-tip) or something interesting to play with. I was just about to get up and go set her straight when she quieted down. I was excited and drifted back off to sleep. However, she started again. And this time...it was louder and I realized sleepily that she was now on me in the bed making the noise.

Well, any of you readers that have cats or live with cats, etc know exactly where this is going. Yep, she had the wizard and had brought him to me and placed him on my chest while sleeping. I caught a glimpse of it lying on me and I brushed that thing straight off my chest and into the darkness of the bedroom. Bless it. I have no clue if it was still alive or not when she brought it to me as a gift or what...but I can almost be assured he was no longer of the living wizards by that point after being flung across the room. Lawdy. You see why I am always tired? Hooligans at my house. Up to no good in the wee hours.

Speaking of hooligans, let's talk about my little sweetness for a bit.

I just could eat this child up. And he knows it. Rotten as they come. Well, a new sewing friend of mine sent some of the yummiest shoes that she made from my fave fabric designer. Other than the sushi-booties (hehe, remember that one?) he has never worn shoes. So, I put them on him and they occupied his attention for a good 10 minutes. It was precious. So, you know good and well I grabbed the camera to catch it all.

Ohhhh, love that child. Have you missed us?

5 comments:

Sara said...

The maid running off with the yard man is hilarious. Who did my maid run off with, though? My yard man still comes around sometimes...

Morgan said...

I've commented on here before, saying how much alike our daughters are. They're almost exactly the same age. I love reading about Louisa. My Grace is going through the phase of being scared by bugs. On night, at about 3am, she screamed bloody murder from her room. I flung out of bed, convinced somebody had broken in. I'm a single Mom, so I thought the worst, and with no man there, I crept down the hall......all it was was a mosquito on the wall. *sigh* I feel you pain. :)

Ashley said...

Help! I can not find your email on either site.
I am sure I am over looking it. I an PG with my third child and between that and this heat I am brain dead to say the least. I am interested in ordering some plain chambray ruffle pants from BG ( you posted a pic of Louisa wearing them in a recent blogpost of oldshool suff) for my daughter who is 4. Let me know if that is possible. BTW my daughters name is Lola and baby #3's name is going to be Louisa to use the same initials!!! Luuuuuv it! Thanks- Ashley from Tennessee

Ashley said...

Call me crazy or blame it on the heat and the pregnancy or the fact my two other "chilrens" were talking to me begging for food or something as I typed.
I forgot to leave my info-
ashleypera@comcast.net

Signed knocked up and overheated...
Ashley from Tennessee

Nikki said...

ummm.you are hilarious! Madison LOVES bugs EXCEPT for roaches. she is terrified as am I. in fact, when the cicadas were out here in macon she would take them to play in her doll house...weird, i know. im not worried though- she says she LOVES animals of all sorts :) how sweet of Murray to leave you such a pretty gift, ha! I would have DIED!