Sunday, July 22, 2012

Down around Biloxi...

Pretty girls are dancing in the sea...

Now are you singing the old Buffett tune too? If not, you should…might drop your blood pressure a bit. JB has that effect on me. Always has, always will. :)

Anyways, back to catching up on the Norris family summer of crazy amounts of driving. I left Jackson May 15th with about 94,000 miles on my car (which is only 6 years old mind you), and will break 100,000 probably this next week. And let me just tell you how much I loooooove to drive with screaming kids in the car. It’s like my fave past-time.

In the month and a half that Byron was still living in Jackson and me and the kiddos were already in Georgia (which was way worse than I ever imagined, all of you ladies married to men in the military, you are my heroes. I don't know how you do it, but you do and I am forever grateful for their service!), we took a week long trip to Biloxi where we stayed at the sweetest little cottage/beach house. Now, I had been warned by many people while living in Mississippi about going to the MS gulf coast. I had been told the water was brown, the beaches were dirty, there was nothing to do, etc. and to not waste my time and instead go to Alabama or Florida. Well, we decided to give it a try – and since Byron was doing a rotation close by, the price was right (which there are few vacations that the price is right with a resident’s salary) and they let us bring the dogs – which you know I don’t like to go anywhere without these sweet faces.
 

So, after a week there, let me go ahead and defend the MS gulf coast. I didn’t think it was bad at all, but then again…I am the type of person that when I go to the beach, I go TO THE BEACH and not much else. I grew up on the sleepy island of Tybee where everything is on Tybee time, the sand is brown, the water is brown and there are 6’ tides. I heart Tybee with everything I have. So, being used to brown sand and brown water, that fact didn’t bother me. I think the thing I loved the most about the beach in Biloxi was that we almost always had it all to ourselves. That was fabulous. Everyone was friendly, and that makes me smile. I also loved that you could walk out many, many feet and the water was still only to your mid-calf (which is ankle deep for most people). It was a fine beach for the Norris circus. I will say there was some trash in the sand and floating in the water, but that isn’t the beach’s fault…instead the result of ignorance and laziness of people that cannot pick up after themselves and unfortunately those people are found all over this world, not just in MS. Boo on them. So, don’t discount the MS gulf coast peeps. Now, I cannot account for things to do since we didn’t do much of that (other than bumper cars and putt putt) – but if you are on a budget, like to sit on a quiet beach and don’t mind the murky water, go for it. And I have a cute little cottage to recommend if you are interested!

So anyways, after the 9 hour drive from Athens to Biloxi (half of which I spent febrile with another lovely case of tonsillitis, but I won’t go into that…I will just say that I am not quite convinced yet that we didn’t move into a petri dish instead of a house. We haven’t been this sick, this much in a looooong time) we got there.

Here are just a few things we learned on the Biloxi trip:

  • Nash can throw a paci like it is his job. Whether he is in the car, in his stroller, in his crib, walking around, etc., he chunks it. And he likes a paci that bounces (I’ve told yall about these before) and that I have to jerry-rig a clip for since they don’t make them for this particular paci. While traveling, I had 7 pacis in my console of the car, and after an hour of traveling…I had to pull over to retrieve and find all 7 again to start anew. Just to give you an idea of how fun he is in the car…
  • Nash has absolutely NO fear of the ocean. Actually, Nash has absolutely NO fear of anything. Louisa is quite the opposite. Precocious as the day is long, but that girl has her reservations. I am not quite sure why beach chairs were even packed since there was no sitting involved. And, he is a quick one…close your eyes for one second, and the child is trying to swim with the dolphins. It’s funny how the beach can be the most relaxing place in the world for me, until I have my children with me. And then, I am the one in need of a nap when we get home.
 

 
  • Hermit crabs are a great source of entertainment, not only for the little ones – but the adults as well. We spent hours searching for them, creating them homes in the sand and then trying to avert their escape attempts. Cheap fun. 
 
  • There is an event in Biloxi along the “strip” called Scraping the Coast. Now, for all of you that think like me…you think that maybe it is a clean-up effort to get the trash, extra sand, etc. off the beach, beach walkways, what have you. But my friends, this is so wrong. It is actually an event that many, many people camp out on the side of Hwy 90 for. It is a parade-like collection of jerry-rigged low-riding cars that in actuality “scrape” the coast. Cue: All my friends know the Low Rider...Wow. Do I even need to go into an explanation of how bad we stuck out like sore thumbs while driving in our SUV loaded with car seats, screaming babes throwing pacis and a large piece of black Tupperware attached to the top to hold our luggage that says Sears on the side? Well, it was humorous to say the least. 
 
  • Byron and I had our first interaction with a Murphy bed. You know, those fancy beds that fold down out of the wall. Well, in lieu of our family’s history with Murphy, I almost wanted to call it, “the He who shall not be named bed.” Hehe. 
 
  • Nash (aka Tonya Harding) is quite a threat with his plastic golf clubs. No shin, knee, dog, cat, sister, etc. is safe when this one is around… And then, he met putt putt.
 

 
  • Louisa is a bumper car pro. See, there are some benefits to driving like your momma…check out the pure JOY on her sweet face!
 
 
 
  • And what is a beach trip without a 3 legged frog, triangle fingers and some baby booty? Right, so that is how we wrap up our Biloxi trip.
 

And just a few more scragglers of the hooligans, this first one is my FAVE!






And now, my dearys...I will bring you back to Georgia for the few weeks in which I was homeless. Me, the kiddos, the labradors and the striped kitty were lucky enough to be able to stay with Patsy (Byron's mom) for a few weeks, and then spend the other time in Savannah with my parents before we closed on West Clover. The kiddos had the BEST time those few weeks. Yeah, it was crazy since we weren't home, but it was kinda nice being gypsies. :) I will have to admit. I had a great time. I missed Byron like crazy, but me and the kiddos made the most of it and you cannot beat the amount of time the cousins all got to hang out!




Here, Jacob is teaching Louisa how to hold your mouth JUST right when fishing in the pool to avoid falling in. :)



But, what Jacob doesn't know is that Louisa possesses her Momma's fine motor skills and amazing coordination and grace as exemplified below. Haaaaaaaaaaaaa.


And this my dears...is trouble. With a capital B-R-O-W-N dog. Nothing drives Mallard crazier than kids in a swimming pool. Wait, maybe that isn't right...everything drives Mallard crazy. :) And mind you, yes...he can swim. In fact, once he is in the water - good luck getting him out but I put him in a life jacket (against his will) because he has seizures and I swanny I would never forgive myself if something happened to him when he was swimming.


Here Lou is showing us all how to hold her mouth just right, that piece of Morgan DNA is dominant in the girls.


Here, it appears that Louisa is fast learning how to be a master gardener as her Mimi reads to her about watering. However, I overheard something about stomping a sprinkler and throwing a screen door. One would think that tempers run in the family...I seem to certainly have skipped that one. (Have you choked yet? Because I just fell out of my chair, hehe)


Oh...sweet snuggles with Jenny, who isn't allowed on the couch.



And on that note...I believe I am finally caught up. Phew, now to keep on blogging on a regular basis. Yall hold me to it, okay?

2 comments:

Sara said...

great post Amy!!! The kids are so adorable, but gotta tell ya I am lovin' on those chubby little feet in the red sandals!!!

Amy said...

Where did y'all stay in Biloxi?