Friday, August 17, 2012

renovations...take one!



Coffee pot in the bathroom, plastic doors, no electricity in the kitchen, living room or dining, a dishwasher full of dishes that now need to be removed to be washed by hand and a breakfast at the booty crack before school at McDonalds because it is still too dark to see to cook...

yep, sounds like living through a renovation to me!

Been there, done that - swore I would never do it again. But, what's that they say? Never say never and never say always. Isn't that right Dr. Smith? Here we are again, living through a reno. Only difference this time is that for the first time in our 9 years of renovating houses together, this time it isn't us doing the work. Phew.

But honestly - I really cannot complain at all. The random assortment of men that have been in and out of my house the past week could not be nicer if they tried. One day I had a boston butt cooking and they all commented on how yummy it smelled in the house and they are the kind of guys that if the meat was already cooked - I would have told them to sit down and enjoy a plate. Seriously, they are really nice and so great working around me and the hooligan children and all my animals. 

As I type I can hear the saws and the framing nailers and the laughter of men having a good time. That makes me smile. The only bad words are coming from yours truly. I should probably be mortified and ashamed that my mouth is a bit more sailor-esque than theirs...but I'm not. Sorry Emily Post, if it makes it better...I hold my pinky out when I type sometimes. :)

Granted, we are still in what is referred to as the "honeymoon phase" of the reno, but I am very happy so far. I am trying my bestest to get over the fact that the house is always going to be a disaster from here on out and trying to shush the inner cleaning freak that is slowly being converted to someone that could care less. I am also trying my hardest to control my junk-tiquing-loving inner voice that is telling me to go and dumpster dive in the big ole dumpster in my front yard. I have to keep reminding myself that everything in there is mine anyways. Not to mention anything worth salvaging for the character of the house is going right back into the upstairs...but it is OH SO tempting. Fellow dumpster divers be warned, that urge is hard to keep at bay! But, if you feel you must dumpster dive, at least there is a port-a-john right next to it. So, bathroom breaks are no problemo.

Remember the pictures on the last post of the upstairs before? Well, here we go all naked and stripped to the studs. I cannot get over how much space there was up there that you just couldn't tell. Sometimes paint is the easy renovator, but other times you have to resort to some good old fashioned knocking down of walls! Speaking of knocking down walls, my inner dumpster diver was thrilled to find an old Coke bottle behind the walls. That one certainly didn't make it to the dumpster. :) Not on this girl's watch.







And how, might one ask, are the hooligans adjusted to the renovations? Well...to get an idea...

Lou is singing in this one, she likes how it echos. :)

 


 

Just fine. They are having the best time playing with random pieces of 2-bys laying around. The plastic doorways are just an invitation for peek-a-boo and all the noise and commotion is only fuel to their oh-so-noisy fire. 

PS - pay no mind to the fact that my male child is wearing a pink apron. Some days as a mother you pick your battles. Clearly this particular day the pink apron one was not one I wanted to fight.

Off to Savannah for the weekend to enjoy electricity, more than 1 bathroom and a coffee pot in the kitchen! Novel idea...

Oh, and PS - it just would be a renovation documented by Amy Norris if it was lacking a toilet in the middle of the floor photo. :)

1 comment:

AEOT said...

Just want to say that Nash couldn't be cuter if he tried!! Love that baby butt and thighs! And, while Spencer has his own apron, he'd much rather wear my pink and white striped one with the ruffles. Whatever, the kid loves to cook and I'm going to encourage it regardless of the color of his apron!!